At the very heart of CIS is our commitment to bringing responsible, caring adults into the lives of children. Volunteers help our students to stay in school and achieve in life by providing supportive relationships for students during the school day through a variety of roles, including:
- Mentor/School Buddy – Serve as a student’s role model, motivator, and personal advocate, or simply be a friend during lunch.
- Academic Coach – Assist a student achieve academic success with classroom activities and assignments.
- School Aide – Make the school day possible by providing administrative assistance, classroom support, or leadership for extracurricular activities.
- Career Coach – Speak about your career experience to a group of students or host a job shadowing field trip.
- Event Specialist – Chaperone field trips, proctor exams, assist with special events, participate in campus beautification projects, or help with other one-time activities
Please Note: We typically do not have access to students over the summer months; therefore, individual volunteer placements for School/Reading Buddies, Tutors, or Mentors are made from September through the end of March each school year. While you may complete our Volunteer Interest Form at any time, please keep this Sept-March timeframe in mind if you are interested in one of these volunteer roles that is matched to an individual student.
Volunteers – FAQ
Mentors/School Buddies, Academic Coaches, and School Aides are asked to commit to one school year. There are no required commitments for Career Coaches and Event Specialists.
Mentors/School Buddies and Academic Coaches will be asked to meet with their students a minimum of once every other week to once a week. Depending on the program, these sessions will last thirty minutes to two hours. For School Aides, Career Coaches, and Event Specialists, the frequency will depend on the activity and your availability.
The majority of the positions require volunteers to be 18 years old. However, we love having younger volunteers in youth groups and organizations help us with events and one-time activities.
Because we work in the schools, most of our opportunities take place during school hours. Depending on the site, school hours are between 7:15 a.m. and 3:45 p.m.